Menu

 
 
 
 
Best view 1152 x 864 ( +F11 )
Bookmark and 
 Share web counter
Visits
counter
Visitors
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---

Alex News

ALWAYS ON TOP ( Scroll down for recent postings )

===
PAM ! Pam-para,pam-pam ! PAM ! PAM !
 

Jul 2, 2010

The Jews in Sweden really are the canary in the mine ...

Malmö Bridg
Malmö "twisted mind"


Published: 2 Jul 10 07:54 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/27560/20100702/

The number of anti-Semitic crimes reported in Sweden rose 57 percent last year, mainly in the southern region of Skåne, the national crime prevention council said on Thursday.

Last year, 250 anti-Semitic crimes were reported, primarily in Skåne, the report said, adding the overall number of hate crimes reported in Sweden had remained unchanged.

"In 2009, 5,800 hate crimes were reported. Crimes against foreigners or with racist motives continue to dominate and the reporting of anti-Semitic crimes has increased," the council said in a statement.

Presenting its latest hate crime statistics report, the council added that it did not know if there had been an actual increase in the number of anti-Semitic crimes or merely in their reporting.

Crimes and threats against the small Jewish community in the southern city
of Malmö recently received much media and political attention.

Education Minister and Liberal Party leader Jan Björklund met with Jewish community leaders earlier this year after it was reported some Jews decided to leave the city
because they felt unsafe.

Malmö Mayor Ilmar Reepalu was criticised in the media for failing to stop the crimes or even fuelling the anti-Semitic sentiment in the city.

Of the hate crimes reported in Sweden in 2009, 71 percent were against foreigners or motivated by race, 18 percent were related to sexual orientation, 10 percent had religious motives (Islamophobic, anti-Semitic, or anti-religious crimes) and one percent were against transexuals.

AFP/The Local (news@thelocal.se)

What do you think? Leave your comment below.


08:53 July 2, 2010 by Nemesis
Some jewish people are moving to outlying towns from Malmö.

Jews are the canary in the mine.

Once bigots realise they can get away with targetting jews, they will start on other groups.

This needs to be stamped out or it will escalate.

09:08 July 2, 2010 by Jasoncarter
250 counts in a country of 9 million is, pretty much, statistically stamped out. That is a spectacularly low rate - religious hate crime as a proportion of the total hate crimes is in itself 'only' 10 per cent and anti-semitism is only a small portion of that.

Racism, not anti-semitism, seems to be a much more pressing issue.

09:21 July 2, 2010 by boby
The 'bigots' in this case are funny enough belonging to another minority in Sweden (although growing rapidly). So I think to stamp this trend as a rise in racism is wrong. If you want to know which group I relate to, think of why are Jews escaping Malmo in specific.

And the number of cases reported is much lower then the number of actual cases. The Malmo Rabi is harassed on a regular basis, when he walks home from the synagogue, and these cases are not reported.

The Swedes think there is no problem, and the number of reported cases is within reason. You will wake up one day, from this sleep of ignorance forced on you by the islamofachist media. But it will be too late as the Jews will be long gone. The nice thing is that you Swedes are next.

09:38 July 2, 2010 by Just_Kidding
it is interesting that the writer chose to make a title out of 4.6% of the problem and didn't mention what is going on with the remaining 95.4% of the problem.

09:47 July 2, 2010 by asteriks
Many German's ran away after WWII to Sweden, with money, they got big positions in society, therefore there is a lot of racism in Sweden. Watch comments at TheLocal, and you will see how many fascists write comments here, especially when there is article about immigrants.

10:01 July 2, 2010 by Nachos
@asteriks- Are you blaming Sweden's German population for the rise in anti-Semitism? Seriously? There is definitely one group of the population responsible, but I can assure you it's not Germans.

10:22 July 2, 2010 by Bergtussen
@Jasoncarter. I think you may be missing something.

Regarding Reported hate crimes in Sweden in 2009:

Total in all Sweden = 5800. Total pop of Sweden = around 9,000,000.

==> Proportion of hate crimes to population = 0.00064

Total Anti-Semitic, all Sweden = 250. Est. Jewish pop of Sweden = 20,000.

==> Proportion = 0.0125.

Total Anti-Semitic, only Malmö = 79. Est Jewish pop of Malmö = 1200.

==> Proportion: 0.066.

In other words (roughly speaking):

Jews in all of Sweden are about 19 times as likely to be a victim of a reported hate crime, compared with all Swedes.

Jews in Malmö are around 102 times as likely to be a victim of a reported hate crime, compared to all Swedes.

10:26 July 2, 2010 by engagebrain
No information on who is committing hate crimes, the number of offenders caught and any punishment.

10:31 July 2, 2010 by blursd
Yet the question remains ... given this (and other reasons) will Sweden ever acknowledge the 500 pound gorilla in the room? I'm sure there are some ethnic Swedes who are anti-Semitic, but I don't think this spike in hate crimes is endemic to the indigenous population ... Of course, even to suggest such a thing is "bigoted," even though everyone knows its true (whether explicitly or tacitly).

What other group of people living in Sweden ... I wonder, I wonder ... would hate the Jews ...?

And I agree with several of the above posts ... the Jews in Sweden really are the canary in the mine ...

10:33 July 2, 2010 by RobinHood
#Asteriks

Your theory is mathematical and biological nonsense. Any German old enough to flee Germany in 1945 (with money), is now dead from old age, or about to be.

10:39 July 2, 2010 by riose
@Bergtussen

You are using a fallacy, the hate crimes shall not be compared with all the swedes, but with the immigrants.

10:49 July 2, 2010 by Bergtussen
@Just_kidding wrote:"it is interesting that the writer chose to make a title out of 4.6% of the problem and didn't mention what is going on with the remaining 95.4% of the problem."

It isn't really that interesting. It is simple. The reason that the title focuses on Jews, is that the article focuses on "hate crimes against Jews". The article does not explore the general problem of all hate crimes in Sweden, although it does mention a few statistics for general background information. But why is the question of "hate crimes against Jews" newsworthy in the first place? It is newsworthy because of the striking fact that 4.6% of the problem affects 0.22% of the population (ie, much more than their "fair share"). I guess the point that you are making implicitly is that 4.6% is just a minor part of the whole problem -- true enough, *unless* you happen to be a member of the 0.22% of the population that it affects.
No doubt if you look around you will find other articles that deal with other aspects of hate crimes in Sweden.

1 comment:

Will said...

Hi Alex.
i think Sweden is only the top of theiceberg,there's a lot of hate crimes all overthe world who go's unreported or that they don't mention the ethnic background of the perpetrators.One can only wonder why?